Summer Arts Program: In-person and socially distanced group instruction
For students entering 1st – 12th Grade in September
Hoff-Barthelson Music School is the ideal setting for a stimulating, challenging, fun-filled, and safely socially distanced summer arts program for students in grades 1-12.
This year’s Summer Arts Program provides a great opportunity for your children to jump start learning, explore new possibilities, make dramatic progress, and form lasting friendships. Space is limited to 45 students per session and is on a first come, first served basis. Early registration is encouraged.
- For younger children (Grades 1 – 6), the Summer Arts Junior Program is a superb way to try new instruments for the first time, discover their particular passion(s), make rapid progress on instruments they may already be studying, and experience the joy of playing with others .
- For older students (Grades 7 – 12), the Summer Arts Senior Program offers opportunities to play together in large and small ensemble configurations, explore new instruments and musical styles.
Jump to a section
Our Schedule of Sessions
The 2021 Summer Arts Program will run as TWO SESSIONS that run for TWO WEEKS each.
- Session 1: JUNE 28 – JULY 9, 2021
- Session 2: JULY 12 – 23, 2021
Each session will accommodate both Junior and Senior grades.
- Junior: Grades 1-6, 9 am – 12 pm, Monday – Friday*
- Senior: Grades 7-12, 1 – 4 pm, Monday – Friday*
*The School will be closed on July 5th in observance of Independence Day.
If your student’s interest in classes exceeds one session, we encourage you to register for a second!
Key Program Features
Individually Tailored Programs: After registering, students and families meet with Summer Arts Program Director Joseph Piscitelli to create a daily schedule tailored to their individual needs and interests.
Exceptional Faculty: Students receive personalized attention on a daily basis from gifted teachers with decades of experience. Hoff-Barthelson prides itself on providing you access to these outstanding artist-educators.
Students are offered a variety of class options for each session and choose three. Please click on a program tab to see the specific class offerings for that grade range.
JUNIOR SUMMER ARTS PROGRAM CLASS OFFERINGS
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
For students entering 1st – 6th grades
Choice of THREE of the following classes:
- Summer Symphonette: A first orchestral experience for string players in grades 1 – 6.
- Composers Corner: A listening lounge designed to expand the students’ understanding of a composer’s life and times. An earful of music, a glimpse of art history, and a look at the social conventions of the times.
- Music through the Ages: A guided tour through all eras of music history designed to make connections between composers, their landmark compositions, and the societal, artistic, and intellectual trends that influenced them.
- Music Theory: Group instruction appropriate to each student’s level of advancement. Classes for SAP Junior students focus on foundational elements of note reading, clefs, intervals, key signatures and scale construction.
- Piano for Non-Pianists: Group instruction in basic keyboard skills for non-pianists. An excellent and fun opportunity for immersion in this essential instrument.
- Creative Keyboard: Piano students improvise and compose music of their own while growing in their understanding of the elements of music: melody, harmony, and rhythm. By audition.
- World Drumming: Students use African drums to explore rhythm, timbre, and a cross section of world music styles as they discover song form, ensemble playing, and improvisation. Knowledge of meter and note values is explored and reinforced.
- Chamber Music Workshop: Playing music in a small ensemble – trios, quartets, and quintets – benefits musicians of all ages and ability levels. Students develop skills in collaboration, interpretation, reading, and technique.
- Group Instrumental Lessons: Available for all instruments, group instruction provides opportunities to learn a new instrument. Great for students wishing to learn first and/or second instruments, as well as those seeking to hone their skills on instruments they already play.
Early-bird discounts available through May 31, 2021. Click here for information on need-based financial aid.
SAP Junior, Session 1
SAP Senior, Session 1
SAP Junior, Session 2
SAP Senior, Session 2
Space is limited to 45 students per session and is on a first come, first served basis. Early registration is encouraged.
NEW STUDENT REFERRAL REWARD PROGRAM: View details here!
Tuition is non-refundable after May 31, 2021. Tuition includes music and materials.
A non-refundable deposit of $100 is required at the time of registration. Registration fee (non-refundable) $25/session (waived for the second session if the student registers for both). Once you have registered, we will contact you to schedule a placement meeting with the Director in order to tailor the best possible program for your child.
2021 Summer Lesson Program
We are pleased to announce that Hoff-Barthelson Music School will offer Summer Lessons both in-person and online for students interested in preserving and adding to their musical skills over the 12 week summer vacation season.
Hoff-Barthelson’s Summer Lesson program is designed to allow for maximum flexibility, and students will enjoy complimentary opportunities to participate in in-person and online performance workshops and recitals.